Header Ads Widget

Murdoch Mysteries star talks about being cast as lead in series during Cobourg visit


Yannick Bisson the star of the Murdoch Mysteries and Christina Jennings executive producer took part in a master class with local student filmmakers at The Loft Cinema on Aug. 29.

The community welcomed Murdoch Mysteries star Yannick Bisson and executive producer Christina Jennings to Cobourg during the debut Eye2Eye International Film Festival. Held on Sunday Aug. 29 the festival included a master-class with local student filmmakers at the Loft Cinema featuring Bisson an actor and producer and Jennings CEO and chair of Shaftesbury on stage.

Asked about Murdoch Mysteries the one-hour drama series that is set in Toronto at the dawn of the 20th century Jennings looked back to 2006 when major changes took place as the series was born. Back then she said she thought what the show needed to become is actually what the show is now. It is something that the family can sit down and watch its not too dark and gritty she said during the festival in Cobourg. I am a big history buff and I wanted in a very tiny way to teach Canadians and many people around the world about some of our history.

So Jennings said she made a bold move less than six weeks before they started filming.

I got rid of the first writing department and we brought in a whole group of people and that became the show she said. At some point you realize this isnt the show we have to and want to make and thankfully that bet paid off or else we wouldnt still be here. Her second big decision came when it was time to choose a cast. I wanted to make a show that was much more able to connect with all ages and I really thought Yannick could give us that Jennings said. He could be that very open Murdoch who is a crazy wonderful man of science a religious man in a community thats less religious.

Asked what it was like for him to get the title role Bisson said some of things about the role he knew about while others were a mystery. It was interesting because my agent sent over the DVDs of the movies and said OK so listen youre going to read for this you need to look at these for reference and Ill call you back  Bisson said. So I saw them and I recognized Peter who is a friend and I thought well boy how am I going to do this because he and I are nothing alike.

After watching five minutes of the first movie Bisson said his agent called him saying Stop stop. Dont dont dont watch any of it they are going in a different direction and thats why they want to see you. So immediately I felt relieved because I thought OK Ill be doing something that I can bring my strengths to and not really have to question am I doing somebody elses work credit or not or those types of things he said. Bisson said he was under the impression there were several actors being considered for the role and asked his agent about it.

I heard back from Perry that Yes theyre considering two of you one older and one younger and thats sort of the thing thats being debated right now so please be patient  he added. And so I thought well OK lets be patient.

Bisson said he couldnt stand it any more so he called his agent back saying Listen are they going to go with the older guy or the younger guy He says Great news great news theyre not going with the younger guy  he added to more laughter from audience members.

 

Post a Comment

0 Comments